WRHS Fall Sports
Athletic Directer Jennifer K. Lynch: 508-829-6771 ext. 1629
State Champs: Congratulations to the 2017 WRHS girls soccer team,
MIAA State Division 1 Champions
WRHS 2018 Fall Sports
General Information Regarding Tryouts for a Fall Sport: All candidates for a WRHS sports team must register online to try out. Online registration for the 2018 fall sports season is now open. This letter from Athletic Director Jennifer Lynch explains the online process. Tryout times and locations for the Fall sports season will be posted here soon.
Physical Examination: In addition to registering online, students must present a copy of a valid physical to the school nurse before the start of tryouts. Students should have a physical examination performed by their family doctor. A physical examination form should be filled out and signed by the doctor.
For the Fall 2018 sports season, the Health Office will be open to collect and verify valid physical forms beginning Monday, July 30. Summer Health Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. For students unable to see a family doctor, physicals will be offered at the WRHS Health Office on the following times/dates: 10 a.m. to noon, Wed., Aug. 9; and 6 to 8 p.m. Tues., Aug. 15. Students must sign up for WRHS physicals during the summer by calling the WRHS main number, 508-829-6771, ext. 0. An adult must accompany anyone under the age of 18. Physicals are valid 13 months to the day of the exam. It is the family's responsibility to ensure the physical is valid for the entire sports season. Students who do not have a valid physical on file will not be allowed to participate in tryouts/practices. Notes from doctors will not be accepted.
Students who do not register online and/or do not present a physical examination form to the school nurse will not be allowed to participate in tryouts/practice sessions.
2018 Tryout Information
Duration of Tryouts: Unless otherwise noted, tryouts will begin Aug. 23. Tryouts will take place as long as necessary to evaluate all candidates, meaning students should be prepared to commit to multiple days of tryouts. Students are expected to attend all tryout sessions.
- Boys Cross Country: All candidates report to the loby outside the athletic offices at 9 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 23, 24, and 27. For information: head coach Brian Wallace, email@example.com.
- Girls Cross Country: All candidates report to the lobby outside the gym at 9 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 23. For more information: head coach Mike O'Malley, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Field Hockey: TBA. Check back for tryout dates and times. For information: head coach Kerry Berry, email@example.com
- Football: Tryouts begin Aug. 17: Freshmen and sophomores from 5 to 7 p.m.; juniors and seniors from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Aug. 18: All players, 9 to 11 a.m. Aug. 20, 21, and 22: freshman and sophomores from 5 to 7 p.m.; juniors and seniors from 6:30 top 8:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 23 sophomores through seniors departs for Eagle Hill at noon; freshmen practice 6 to 8 p.m. For information: head coach Mike Dubzinski, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Boys Golf: Tryouts for all new players will begin at 9 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 24, at Tatnuck Driving Range, 55 Marshall St., Leicester. While at the range, players will make tee times for open tryouts at Holden Country Club. All returning players will make tee times directly with Coach Guerin. For more information: head coach Nick Guerin, email@example.com.
- Boys Soccer: TBA. Check back for tryout dates and times. For information: head coach Jason Gaumond, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Girls Soccer: TBA. Tryouts begin Thursday, Aug. 23: Freshman, 8 to 10 a.m. on the track field; Sophomores, 10 a.m. to noon on the track field; Juniors and Seniors, 12:30 2:30 and 5 to 7 p.m. on Lane (turf) Field. Aug. 24: Freshman, 9 to 11 a.m. on Lane Field; Non-returning varsity sophomores and juniors, 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. on Lane Field; Returning varsity, 7 to 9 a.m. and 2:30 to 5 p.m. on Lane Field. Aug. 25: Everyone, 9 a.m. to noon, Lane Field. A mandatory parent meeting will be held at 7 p.m. in the WRHS Auditorium. Click here for a printable schedule of all Girls Soccer Tryout information. For information: head coach David Gentleman, email@example.com
- Girls Volleyball: All tryouts will take place in the WRHS gym:
- Thursday, Aug. 23: All sophomores (JV1): 8 to 10 a.m. All juniors and seniors (Varsity): 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. All freshmen (JV2): 2 to 4:30 p.m. Candidates should report to the gym 15 minutes before their start times. All freshmen should have their last names printed on the backs of their T-shirts for tryouts.
- Friday, Aug. 24: All sophomores (JV1) 8 to 10 a.m. Some sophomores may be asked to attend the Varsity tryout. All juniors and Seniors (Varsity) 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. All freshmen 2 to 4:30 p.m. Some freshmen may be asked to attend the JV1 tryout.
- Saturday, Aug. 25 All juniors and seniors (Varsity) 9 to 11 a.m. All sophomors (JV1) noon to 2 p.m. All freshmen (JV2) 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. Some freshmen may be asked to attend JV1 tryout.
- For more information: head coach Jennifer Burton, firstname.lastname@example.org.
NO ONLINE REGISTRATION + NO PHYSICAL = NO TRYOUT
Online Schedules: WRHS sports schedules are available online. Click here to access complete schedules. A new Parent Guide offers help in navigating the site and gives parents instructions on how to access our schedules and receive updates regarding changes to schedules, postponements, etc.
Wachusett Regional High School fields nine sports teams during the fall season, at the varsity, JV, and freshman levels. The cost to participate in a sport is $250/athlete per athletic season with a maximum of $350/family per season. People seeking more information about the WRHS athletic program should contact athletic director Jennifer Lynch.
Payment of Athletic Fee: Once a child has been chosen for a team, parents should pay their child's athletic fee through our automated, Online Payment Center.
Playing a high school sport requires of students a large commitment. Athletes at the varsity level make a tremendous commitment of time, effort, and energy. This commitment comes on top of their primary focus on their academic classes. Students who choose to play a fall sport should be aware of the expectations of their chosen sport. All fall sports teams begin practice before school begins in August, and at the varsity level, most teams practice on weekends and school vacations. In addition, athletes are often expected to take part in off-season workouts and in-season conditioning sessions. Wachusett Regional High School encourages students to play a sport and get involved in extracurricular activities, but we want everyone to be aware of what is involved. Linked to each sport below are the expectations for that sport. Parents or athletes who have questions should contact the coach of that sport.
Fall Sports Teams
Home Sports Venues: All fall home games take place at Wachusett Regional High School, 1401 Main Street, Holden, MA, except for Boys Golf, which plays its home matches at Holden Hills Country Club, 1800 Main St., Holden.
The Wachusett Regional School District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, ELL status, housing status, or other protected status in the operation of the educational programs, activities, or employment policies, and no person will be excluded from or discriminated against in admission to its public schools, or in obtaining advantage and privileges in regards to courses of study and extracurricular programs of such public schools on account of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, ELL status, housing status or other protected category.